WordCamp Rochester takes place on October 5 at St. John Fisher College in New York. The GreenGeeks team will not be able to attend but you can still pick up some awesome swag at the camp.
Although it is only one day, there are a lot of great events to look forward too. WordCamp Rochester is sure to be an exciting camp for everyone in attendance.
What to Expect at WordCamp Rochester
The WordCamp is broken up into three sections, each with their own rooms. The event will have talks for beginners, freelancers and multisites, as well as security and developers. Across all of the categories, there are over 20 different talks going on.
Here are some to look forward to:
- Plugin Development For Beginners
Have you ever wanted to create your own plugin? Joe Cartonia will help you realize exactly how easy it is to develop your very own plugin. All it requires is some basic PHP knowledge
- WordPress Security Best Practices
The security of your website is extremely important. Shakir Ali’s speech will go over the best practices to follow to substantially improve the security of your WordPress website.
- 5 Ways to Improve your Website Accessibility
Trevor Johnson-Steigelman will be telling you how to make your website more accessible. Over 15 million U.S Internet users have some form of impairment that directly affects their ability to browse the web. Thus, you need to ensure your website is accessible.
- Building and Managing a Multi-Author WordPress Blog
To keep up with the demand for content one author is simply not enough. Sue Jenkins will show you how to build, recruit and manage a multi-author website.
- Connecting & Partnering in the WordPress Community
Nick Adams will explain how to carefully build a professional relationship with other members of the WordPress community. This has the potential to open up new opportunities and accelerate your website’s growth.
Fun Facts About Rochester
If you are traveling to Rochester for the first time, I recommend visiting the city. There is plenty to see, do, and eat.
- If you love animals, you should definitely check out the Seneca Park Zoo. They have everything from Lions to Eagles and everything in between. It’s a great choice to visit if you have some extra time on your hands.
- Rochester is full of great restaurants to choose from and you would really be missing out if you didn’t step out for a bite to eat. I personally recommend the Dinosaur Barb-B-Que. They have great ribs that are worth the trip.
- One of the coolest things to see is the Rochester Museum & Science Center. It’s full of great exhibits and activities like laser rock concerts and blacksmith classes.
While there is a lot of great content at the WordCamp, just remember to visit the rest of the city. There really is a lot to see.
With plenty of awesome talks to look forward to and a great city to explore, WordCamp Rochester is sure to be exciting. We hope you can make it and enjoy some interesting WordPress sessions and networking.