For security reasons, you’ll receive an alert each time you log into your GreenGeeks account. This article explains why you have received the alert and the steps to take to protect your account.
What Is a Login Alert?
A login alert is a message letting you know that someone has logged into your GreenGeeks dashboard. Alerts are not sent for logins directly to cPanel or Webmail, they’re only sent for GreenGeeks dashboard logins.
There are two types of alerts:
- Unknown Device Alert – This indicates that a device that GreenGeeks did not previously recognize has logged into the account and that a secondary verification was completed via Email, SMS, or by phone.
- Known Device Alert – This is for a device that we recognize having logged in previously and completed verification.
The Purpose of an Alert
The alerts are sent to inform you that someone has logged into your GreenGeeks account. If you didn’t log in yourself or don’t recognize the login, let us know. We’ll take prompt action to protect your account.
What Triggers an Alert
Alerts are automatically sent whenever we record a login to your GreenGeeks profile from a known or unknown device. So, if you log in from your usual location but are using a different browser, you’ll receive an Unknown Device alert.
Using an “incognito” or private browsing window will also trigger an Unknown Device alert.
What You Should Do if You Receive an Alert
The location noted in the alert is approximate, so you should check the IP address to see if it’s one that you recognize. You can find your current IP address using lookup tools like whatismyip.com or whatsmyip.org.
Note that some home IP addresses are “dynamic,” meaning you can be assigned a different IP address every time you log in or restart your router or modem.
- If you recognize the IP address and you know that you logged in around the time of the alert, no action is required on your part.
- If you do not recognize the IP address check the following:
- Have you provided your GreenGeeks login information to anyone else? For example, a family member or a web developer?
- Do you use a VPN when connecting to GreenGeeks? If so, it’s likely you are connecting from an IP address that isn’t located near you. VPN IP addresses are usually randomly assigned from a large, widespread pool of servers, which increases the likelihood of receiving login alerts.
If you do not recognize the IP address or location and you have not provided your login information to anyone else, reset your password and contact us immediately.
GreenGeeks staff will assist in taking steps to protect your account.
For security reasons, GreenGeeks does not recommend disabling login alerts.
To disable Login Alerts, for both Known & Unknown Devices, click on the “Login Alerts” slider within your GreenGeeks profile, under the Privacy tab so that it becomes grey.
If you have any other questions about how to deal with a suspicious alert, please contact a member of our Support Staff by opening a ticket in GreenGeeks.